and Worship Resources
Sunday after Pentecost
Reformation Day Resources
"Blessed are those
who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
"Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. " Mt.
A Prayer for Courage
Almighty God, who gives strength to the weak and upholds those who might fall, give me
courage to do what is right, for those that trust in you have no need to fear.
Make be brave to face any danger which may now threaten me. Give me the help that you
have promised to those who ask it, that I may overcome my fears and go bravely forward.
Fill me with courage, that nothing which is my duty to do, may be too hard for me. Let
me put my trust in your power and goodness.
Thank you my Lord. Amen.
Crossing the Road,
(see excerpt below)
by Rev. Tom Hall
Revelation 7: 9-17
Rev. Rick Thompson
- The Pumpkin Prayer
a children's sermon for the Sunday before Halloween
by Rev. Liz Curtis Higgs
- Get Real,
by Rev. F. Schaefer
Crossing the Road
by Rev. Tom Hall
One of Americas most beloved genre that many of us cut our humor teeth on was the
why-did-the-chicken-cross-the-road question. Remember that hackneyed Q and A? Over the
years weve been able to fit almost any current figure into the lines to bring us
smiles and smirks.
Heres a few current responses to the question, why the chicken did cross the road
. . . .
- Scully . . . it was a simple bio-mechanical reflex that is commonly
found in chickens.
- Jerry Seinfeld . . . Why does anyone cross a road? I mean, why
doesnt anyone ever think to ask, "What the heck was this chicken doing walking
around all over the place anyway?"
- Dr. Seuss . . . Did the chicken cross the road? Did he cross it with a
toad? Yes! The chicken crossed the road but why it crossed Ive not been told!
- The Bible . . . And God came down from the heavens, and He saith unto
the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road." And the chicken crossed the road, and
there was much rejoicing.
- Pat Buchanan . . . To steal a job from a decent, hard-working American.
- Bob Dylan . . . How many roads must one chicken cross?
- Bill Gates . . . I have just released the new Chicken 2000, which will
both cross roads AND balance your checkbook
- Grandpa . . . In my day, we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the
road. Someone told us that the chicken had crossed the road, and that was good enough for
- L.A. Police Department . . . Give me ten minutes with the chicken and
I'll find out.
- Mr. Scott . . . Cos ma wee transporter beam was na functioning
properly. Ah canna work miracles, Captain!
- Colonel Sanders . . . I missed one?
Our bent toward chicken crossings is not so far removed from our lesson in Joshua 3.
The wandering Israelites have finally bumped up against the waters edge. Thats
the road theyve got to cross. Its during the rainy season and the dark
swirling, swelling waters make crossing dangerous. So there they are all bunched up at
waters edge, wondering what to do next. Their problem is our problem: how will we
cross the Jordan, cross the road into Gods promise for our future?
full sermon manuscript.
What is a subscription?
Click here to find out.